2007/06/22

Mi vida en Oaxaca

It's almost been a week since I arrived in Oaxaca and I am really enjoying this place a lot. The city with it's colonial buildings, the nice and colourful Zocalo and the many churches are great to explore!
I am living with a local family about 10 minutes walk from the city centre and Maria and Manuel are a very friendly and helpful couple. Maria is also a great cook and her food is really delicious and everyday the surprise us with some new specialities.
There are another 2 students staying in the house with me, Sarah from San Francisco and Patrick from Washington DC, both are very nice too and have already travelled to various parts of the world.

My school is very good too, at the moment they don't have a lot of students (this week we are only 9 people at the whole school), which is almost like having private tuition. We have class from 09:00 - 14:00 hours, first grammar and the second part is more conversation. I think this is really great for me as I can improve my Spanish quite a bit.
They also offer "intercambios" where you meet a local person and speak in Spanish first and then your counterpart can practice his/her English or whatever language. My intercambio is Marcos, a 25 year old graphic designer who speaks English more or less fluently and and also knows a bit of German.
The school also organizes some social events such as going out to the bars to have a beer or a Mescal (the typical drink here in Oaxaca, similar to the Tequila).
This weekend Sarah and I are planning some sightseeing trips around the city such as to Monte Alban (Zapotec ruins), Tule (big tree and local market) and some other rural villages in the mountains.

Unfortunately it seems that I can´t upload any pictures today, I will have to try from another internet coffee some time later!

No comments: