2007/06/16

Hola y bienvenido a Mexico
























Hello everybody, here a first update from Mexico.....

After a very smooth trip I arrived in Mexico DF on Monday evening and spent Tuesday relaxing at my friends house and getting organized for the days ahead.

On Wednesday morning I did take the bus to the town of Taxco, which is about 3 hours drive from Mexico City. Taxco is an old silver mining town, built on a steep hillside with narrow, cobblestonded streets and a very charming colonial style architecture. I especially liked the Templo de Santa Prisca, a rose coloured church at the Zocalo (main square of any Mexican town).

I returned to DF on Thursday evening, that night my Mexican friends (I first met them in Edinburgh/Scotland in 1998) were organizing a dinner at a nice Taco place and it was really great to talk about good old times in Edinburgh (this time I could even keep up with their Spanish, when we first met it was only English...).

Today Friday I did a tour through the historical center of DF and as there is quite a lot to be seen, I did take a tourist bus tour which they now run here as well...

Of course I did not miss the Zocola (one of the biggest squares in the world) and the Palacio Nacional, where the Mexican President has his office and where you can admire some great murals by Diego Rivera. Next to the parliament there is the cathedral, a three nave basilica in baroque style.

The bus also took us through some really nice neighbourhoods (colonias) and to the bosque de chapultepec, one of the biggest parks in Mexico.

Tomorrow Saturday early morning I will take the bus to Oaxaca, a city about 7 hours south east of DF, where I will stay for three weeks to attend a Spanish course at a language school.

So more news will come from there....


1 comment:

Sonja said...

Hola Conny
In Taxco bini vor 11 Jahr au xi! Isch ganz äs hübsches Silberstädtli.
Saludos
Sonja