2007/10/19

Welcome to Ecuador

After the wedding in Detroit I was continuing my trip to Quito, Ecuador, where I arrived on Wednesday, September 5.
I was picked up at the airport by Caty, my host mother and Gloria, the administrator at Nuevos Horizontes, the organisation that is organizing my volunteering work here in Ecuador. I immediately felt very welcomed and almost at home in Quito.
Quito, Ecuador's capital and second largest city (after Guayaquil at the coast) has about 1.5 million inhabitants and lies on about 3000 meters above sea level. The city stretches along the floor of a high Andean valley and is flanked by several volcanic peaks. The historical center or the old town as it is called, has loads of churches and colonial buildings and was declared an Unesco World Heritage Site. Only about 20 minutes walk from the old town is Quito's new town, a totally different world with a mixture of high rise buildings, commercial shopping centres, hotels, restaurants and bars.
I live in the north of Quito in the modern new town with my hosts Caty and Eduardo. Caty has two daughters who visit frequently and Alejandra, the younger one actually lives in the same building complex just across the square.When I arrived both Carolina (the older daughter) and Alejandra were pregnant, in the meantime Caro has given birth to her baby daughter Manuela.



My host family


Emilia and Manuela, the daughters of Carolina Carolina, the baby and Caty





The Classics, the band in which Eduardo plays the drums











myself, Emmy (a volunteer from Denmark), Eduardo and Caty


Alejandra, Emilia and Clarita (the dog)


Impressions of Quito


Cathedral





El Panecillo
La Compañia



Plaza Grande










Quito from Cruz Loma (4100 meters) Monastery and Plaza San Francisco

No comments: